I craft tech, communities, and the future with AI research.
𝗡𝗔𝗠𝗘: Haoli Yin 𝗔𝗚𝗘: 20 𝗗𝗘𝗚𝗥𝗘𝗘: M.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Computer Science and Mathematics 𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗗𝗨𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡: May 2024
☕ Coffee Chat 📁 CV | Resume
🥂 LinkedIn 🧑💻 GitHub 📷 Instagram 🐦 Twitter (most active)
I’m a Dual MS/BS student majoring in 💻 Computer Science and 📊 Math at ⚓ Vanderbilt University.
In a nutshell, I'm a problem-solving adrenaline junkie fueled by a passion for AI and a hunger for revolutionizing the world we live in.
what i research
I love AI research — it's where my passion for technology and human impact collide. My focus is on building efficient models for transfer learning and world modeling, enabling machines to better understand their environment and reason more effectively 🌎🤖.
As an AI fanatic, I'm currently exploring the boundaries of semantically-aware image-to-image style modality transfer, representation learning, and multimodal joint embedding spaces 🚀. And when I'm not tinkering with code, I'm contemplating the philosophical implications of artificial systems and how they reflect the complexities of our own biological processes, in search of a deeper understanding of both artificial and human life 🤔.
what i’m up to now
As an AI Research Scientist at Modern Intelligence and a Research Assistant at the Bowden Lab, I thrive on solving complex real-world problems with cutting-edge AI.
When I'm not tinkering with AI, I'm living life to the fullest! You can find me jamming on my viola as a section leader in the orchestra (don't be shy, ask me about the Studio Ghibli suite 🎻🎶). Or you might catch me surfing research Twitter for the latest and greatest ML breakthroughs 🤖💻.
When I'm in the mood to unwind, you'll find me blasting tunes and bopping to the beats of NIKI, Sundial, and of course, the one and only New Jeans 🎵👖. And let's not forget about staying fit and active - I love playing badminton, hitting the gym, and sweating out my frustrations.
As an avid 🍜🍪 chef and anime fanatic, I enjoy whipping up delicious Chinese dishes and baking scrumptious cookies while binging on the latest anime obsessions such as Spy x Family 🥡📺 to relax and escape reality.
Maybe the purpose of life is to just be alive; we inject meaning to keep us living.
Digital Staining of Unpaired White and Blue Light Cystoscopy Videos for Bladder Cancer Detection in the Clinic
GitHub | Short Paper | Poster
- Shuang Chang, Haoli Yin, Kristen R Scarpato, Amy N Luckenbaugh, Sam Chang, Christian Bolenz, Maximilian C Kriegmair, Nikolaos C Deliolanis, Soheil Kolouri, Audrey Bowden
- Accepted to Poster presentation for MIDL 2023 Short Paper track
- Manuscript for publication in progress
SpecReFlow: A Specular Reflection Restoration Framework using Flow-Guided Video Completion
- Haoli Yin, Rachel Eimen, Daniel Moyer, Audrey Bowden
- Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering Journal.
- Delivered 20-minute oral talk at SPIE Photonics West 2023 Conference (Uploaded soon)
Prostate Lesion Detection and Salient Feature Assessment using Zone-based Classifiers
- Haoli Yin, Nithin Buduma
- Selected as top 10 best papers at the Summer STEM Institute
AI Research Scientist Intern | Jan 2023 - Present
- Identified optimal multimodal architecture for image-to-image translation 🎨 through rigorous ablation studies, showcasing vast potential of multimodal data 📊 for dense downstream prediction tasks.
- Designed an innovative literature review pipeline 📚 named 🔥 "Inferno," which utilizes cutting-edge semantic similarity and GPT-like functionality to facilitate the rapid discovery of relevant papers and document Q&A 🕵️♂️.
- Revamped summer research program ☀️ with innovative plan from comprehensive literature review, elevating outcomes and showcasing leadership 🌟 and research skills 🔬 at an advanced level.
Work with us at modernintelligence.ai/careers
Bowden Biomedical Optics Lab
Research Assistant | Nov. 2021 - Present
- Spearheaded 🚀 deep learning research on specular reflection restoration in white-light endoscopy videos as first author in Bowden Biomedical Optics Lab, achieving state-of-the-art results with ASPP model 🥇 (92.8% Dice Score, 52.3% sensitivity increase over U-net models) and flow-guided video completion pipeline 🎥 leveraging optical flow estimation 🌊 and vision transformer models 🤖 (16.8% PSNR, 10.1% SSIM improvements over spatial inpainting methods).
- Project areas include 3D hollow organ model reconstruction 🧠, video artifact restoration 🎞️, and current project of using GAN models 🎨 for semantically-aware modality transfer to enhance sensitivity of bladder cancer detection 🚨.
Visit us at lab.vanderbilt.edu/bowdenlab
Machine Learning Engineer (Contract) | Sept. 2022 - Feb 2023
- Spearheaded research initiatives as third hire in pre-seed physical therapy startup, delivering a state-of-the-art 💪 pose estimation model with 🔥 98% mAP using the EfficientFormerV2 transformer backbone for 📱mobile optimization.
- Pioneered efficient in-browser 💻 edge-deployment of the core 2D pose estimation model using TF.js and int8 quantization, achieving real-time inference optimization and driving significant improvements in ⚡️ speed and performance.
- Watch as our featured experience was demoed to Mark Cuban 🦈 for $46k in pre-seed funding 💰.
Visit our site at yoomi.health.
Data Science Research Intern | May 2022 - Aug. 2022
- Designed and implemented a 🚀GPU-accelerated state estimation engine using C++ and MAGMA (CUDA wrapper), reducing runtime by 21.8% compared to the MATLAB baseline.
- Developed over 20 GPU-accelerated linear algebra utility functions 💪 with unit tests using C++.
- Validated the effectiveness of 20+ adversarial ML patterns 🕵️♀️ on 30+ state-of-the-art PyTorch classification models using Anaconda, Jupyter Notebook, NumPy, OpenCV, and Pandas
Learn more at lynntech.com/about
- Goldwater Scholarship (2023)
- Named one of 413 Scholars out of estimated pool of over 5,000 college sophomores and juniors, highlighting exceptional aptitude and potential for a research career in natural sciences, engineering, and mathematics. See Goldwater Scholarship Website.
- Google CS Research Mentorship Program (2023a)
- Accepted to a three month program that matches students with Google mentors and peers to support their pursuit of computer science research pathways. See Google CSRMP Website.
- Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholarship (2021 - Present)
- Awarded full-tuition academic merit scholarship awarded to top candidates who demonstrate academic achievement, intellectual promise, and leadership qualities, continuing the mission of Vanderbilt's founder to unite people and ideas across the world. See CV Scholarship Website.
- Equitable Excellence $10k Scholarship (2021)
- Recognized as a recipient of the Equitable Excellence Scholarship, a flagship program of Equitable Foundation, providing development opportunities and support to empower students' future plans and make a positive impact in their communities. See Website.
- National Merit Scholar (2021)
- Coca-Cola Scholarship Semifinalist (2020)
- Chosen as one of 1,609 applicants from a pool of 99,403 applications (1.6% acceptance) based on superior leadership, community service, and academic excellence.
- Science Olympiad National Medalist (2019-2021)
- USA Biology Olympiad Semifinalist (2018-2020)
- Programming Languages:
- Proficient in Python and C++
- Prompt Engineering as a Programming Language (I’ll call this PEaaPL)
- ML/DL: PyTorch, OpenCV, Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Optuna
- Web Dev: HTML, CSS, Gradio, HuggingFace
- MLOps: Hydra, Git, Ubuntu Linux, Weights & Biases
Sponsorship Assistant Director | Aug. 2021 - Present
- 🎯 Spearhead the coordination of cold calls and lead the management of existing sponsor relations to exceed our goal of raising $80,000 in funding for Vanderbilt's fall hackathon event
- 🤝 Represent VandyHacks organization at conferences and networking events, increasing lead generation by 40% while building strong partnerships with potential sponsors for future events.
- 🔍 Always looking for new and creative ways to secure funding and sponsorship to ensure the success and growth of VandyHacks.
Vanderbilt Commodore Orchestra
Viola Section Leader | Aug. 2021 - Present
- 💪 Scheduled and led viola section practices, fostering a collaborative environment that improved the overall quality of performances
- 🎵 Provide motivation and coaching to slower members, ensuring that all members are able to play to their full potential
- 👥 Collaborated with fellow section leaders to enhance the overall cohesion and excellence of the orchestra