I craft tech, communities, and the future with AI research.
𝗡𝗔𝗠𝗘: Haoli Yin 𝗔𝗚𝗘: 21 𝗗𝗘𝗚𝗥𝗘𝗘: M.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Computer Science and Mathematics 𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗗𝗨𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡: May 2025
In a nutshell, I'm a problem-solving adrenaline junkie fueled by a passion for AI and a hunger for revolutionizing the world we live in.
I love AI research — it's where my passion for technology and human impact collide. My focus is on building efficient models for transfer learning and world modeling, enabling machines to discover like we can, not just contain what we have discovered 🌎🤖.
My research interest mainly focuses on incorporating rich information from multiple modalities, times, and views to create a better structured understanding of the world and the objects contained within it. In particular, I’ve been tackling practical and real-world challenges in various application domains such as multi-sensor fusion and video completion.
And when I'm not tinkering with code, I'm contemplating the philosophical implications of artificial systems and how they reflect the complexities of our own biological processes, in search of a deeper understanding of both artificial and human life 🤔.
As an AI Research Scientist at Modern Intelligence and a Research Assistant at Bowden Lab, I'm all about untangling complex issues with state-of-the-art AI 🤖. But that's just one facet of me. When I log off for the day, I'm the viola section leader in an orchestra, where we recently aced the Studio Ghibli suite and other classical works from Tchaikovsky to Rimsky-Korsakov🎻
If I'm not immersed in code or music, you'll find me scrolling through Research Twitter for ML innovations 💻. It's like a digital coffee shop ☕ where the world's brightest minds gather.
My playlist? A mix of NIKI, Sundial, and New Jeans 🎵—the perfect soundtrack for my culinary experiments in Chinese cuisine 🍜 and cookie baking 🍪. These sessions often coincide with a Spy x Family anime binge 📺, my go-to escape from the daily grind.
Beyond the screen and the stove, I'm also a fitness enthusiast 🏋️♂️. Whether it's rallying in badminton 🏸, lifting weights at the gym, or just letting off steam, staying active is my reset button 🔄.
From AI to anime and algorithms to athletics, my life is a rich tapestry of diverse interests 😄. And I love every minute of it.
Maybe the purpose of life is to just be alive; we inject meaning to keep us living.
- Jennifer Crawford, Haoli Yin, Luke McDermott, Daniel Cummings
- Accepted at NeurIPS 2023 UniReps Workshop
- Achieved State-of-the-Art (by a significant margin) on several multimodal re-identification benchmark datasets
- Haoli Yin*, Jiayao (Emily) Li*, Eva Schiller*, Luke McDermott, Daniel Cummings
- *Work done during Summer 2023 Research Scientist Internship at Modern Intelligence
- Borderline Accept reviews at WACV 2024
Digital Staining of Unpaired White and Blue Light Cystoscopy Videos for Bladder Cancer Detection in the Clinic
GitHub | Short Paper | Poster
- Shuang Chang, Haoli Yin, Kristen R Scarpato, Amy N Luckenbaugh, Sam Chang, Christian Bolenz, Maximilian C Kriegmair, Nikolaos C Deliolanis, Soheil Kolouri, Audrey Bowden
- Accepted to Poster presentation for MIDL 2023 Short Paper track
- Manuscript for publication in progress
- Haoli Yin, Rachel Eimen, Daniel Moyer, Audrey Bowden
- Submitted to SPIE Journal of Medical Imaging
- Delivered 20-minute oral talk at SPIE Photonics West 2023 Conference
- Haoli Yin, Nithin Buduma
- Selected as top 10 best papers at the Summer STEM Institute
AI Research Scientist Intern | Jan 2023 - Dec 2023
- Authored and developed “GraFT: Gradual Fusion Transformer for Multimodal Re-identification,” which reduced transformer model size by 62%, achieved state-of-the-art performance in multimodal vehicle re-identification benchmarks, and introduced a novel multimodal contrastive learning objective, thereby establishing a unique market differentiator for the company.
- Led 3-day sprints🏃♀️, swiftly evolving ideas into fully-realized experiments with intern team, catalyzing project momentum 🚀.
- Engineered a robust, modular PyTorch infrastructure, harnessing Lightning Fabric for multi-GPU training to supercharge model training speed by 400% 🚄, advancing overall project timeline.
- Authored a custom job scheduler with a user-centric interface, optimizing load balancing and training run management, improving resource utilization by 40% 🛠️.
Work with us at modernintelligence.ai/careers
Research Assistant | Nov. 2021 - Present
- Spearheaded 🚀 deep learning research on specular reflection restoration in white-light endoscopy videos as first author in Bowden Biomedical Optics Lab, achieving state-of-the-art results with ASPP model 🥇 (92.8% Dice Score, 52.3% sensitivity increase over U-net models) and flow-guided video completion pipeline 🎥 leveraging optical flow estimation 🌊 and vision transformer models 🤖 (16.8% PSNR, 10.1% SSIM improvements over spatial inpainting methods).
- Project areas include 3D hollow organ model reconstruction 🧠, video artifact restoration 🎞️, and current project of using GAN models 🎨 for semantically-aware modality transfer to enhance sensitivity of bladder cancer detection 🚨.
Visit us at lab.vanderbilt.edu/bowdenlab
Machine Learning Engineer (Contract) | Sept. 2022 - Feb 2023
- Spearheaded research initiatives as third hire in pre-seed physical therapy startup, delivering a state-of-the-art 💪 pose estimation model with 🔥 98% mAP using the EfficientFormerV2 transformer backbone for 📱mobile optimization.
- Pioneered efficient in-browser 💻 edge-deployment of the core 2D pose estimation model using TF.js and int8 quantization, achieving real-time inference optimization and driving significant improvements in ⚡️ speed and performance.
- Watch as our featured experience was demoed to Mark Cuban 🦈 for $46k in pre-seed funding 💰.
Visit our site at yoomi.health.
Data Science Research Intern | May 2022 - Aug. 2022
- Designed and implemented a 🚀GPU-accelerated state estimation engine using C++ and MAGMA (CUDA wrapper), reducing runtime by 21.8% compared to the MATLAB baseline.
- Developed over 20 GPU-accelerated linear algebra utility functions 💪 with unit tests using C++.
- Validated the effectiveness of 20+ adversarial ML patterns 🕵️♀️ on 30+ state-of-the-art PyTorch classification models using Anaconda, Jupyter Notebook, NumPy, OpenCV, and Pandas
Learn more at lynntech.com/about
- Goldwater Scholarship (2023)
- Named one of 413 Scholars out of estimated pool of over 5,000 college sophomores and juniors, highlighting exceptional aptitude and potential for a research career in natural sciences, engineering, and mathematics. See Goldwater Scholarship Website.
- Google CS Research Mentorship Program (2023a)
- Accepted to a three month program that matches students with Google mentors and peers to support their pursuit of computer science research pathways. See Google CSRMP Website.
- Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholarship (2021 - Present)
- Awarded full-tuition academic merit scholarship awarded to top candidates who demonstrate academic achievement, intellectual promise, and leadership qualities, continuing the mission of Vanderbilt's founder to unite people and ideas across the world. See CV Scholarship Website.
- Equitable Excellence $10k Scholarship (2021)
- Recognized as a recipient of the Equitable Excellence Scholarship, a flagship program of Equitable Foundation, providing development opportunities and support to empower students' future plans and make a positive impact in their communities. See Website.
- National Merit Scholar (2021)
- Coca-Cola Scholarship Semifinalist (2020)
- Chosen as one of 1,609 applicants from a pool of 99,403 applications (1.6% acceptance) based on superior leadership, community service, and academic excellence.
- Science Olympiad National Medalist (2019-2021)
- USA Biology Olympiad Semifinalist (2018-2020)
- Programming Languages:
- Proficient in Python and C++
- Prompt Engineering as a Programming Language (I’ll call this PEaaPL)
- ML/DL: PyTorch, OpenCV, Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Optuna
- Web Dev: HTML, CSS, Gradio, HuggingFace
- MLOps: Hydra, Git, Ubuntu Linux, Weights & Biases
Sponsorship Assistant Director | Aug. 2021 - Present
- 🎯 Spearhead the coordination of cold calls and lead the management of existing sponsor relations to exceed our goal of raising $80,000 in funding for Vanderbilt's fall hackathon event
- 🤝 Represent VandyHacks organization at conferences and networking events, increasing lead generation by 40% while building strong partnerships with potential sponsors for future events.
- 🔍 Always looking for new and creative ways to secure funding and sponsorship to ensure the success and growth of VandyHacks.
Viola Section Leader | Aug. 2021 - Present
- 💪 Scheduled and led viola section practices, fostering a collaborative environment that improved the overall quality of performances
- 🎵 Provide motivation and coaching to slower members, ensuring that all members are able to play to their full potential
- 👥 Collaborated with fellow section leaders to enhance the overall cohesion and excellence of the orchestra